Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco (CCCS) is a non-profit
service. We are accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services
for Families and Children, Inc. and are certified by HUD to provide
comprehensive housing counseling services. We've been providing
money management information and assistance since 1969.
By providing comprehensive financial
counseling and education, we will help consumers achieve financial
independence through debt reduction, homeownership, and improved money
As a financial resource center, we
offer the tools to help our clients set and achieve financial goals.
Whether you need immediate help to pay off debt and avoid bankruptcy
or you just need guidance in designing a spending and savings plan
or buying a first home, we offer a variety of programs and services
that put you in control of your financial future. There is no charge
for money management, debt or housing counseling services. Debt
Management Plan participants pay a small monthly administrative
fee to cover the cost of handling their accounts; the fee never
exceeds $35 per month.
Although we are based in San Francisco,
we serve people nationwide by phone. Our staff includes BAs, MAs,
JDs, MSWs, certified financial planners and certified credit report
reviewers. All counselors participate in a month-long training
program upon hire and in ongoing training sessions on everything
from counseling techniques to resources and referrals.
All of our counselors
are required to successfully complete a national certification
program developed by Purdue University specifically for members
of the NFCC. This certification covers such topics as consumer
protection, spending plans and budgeting, creditor and legal
policies and practices, credit and debt management, and counseling
principles and techniques. Counselors must also maintain their
certification by earning additional Professional Development Units
(PDUs) during each four-year period.
Performance and Quality Improvement
Our goal is to provide meaningful counseling and education to help our clients understand and improve their financial situation. To ensure that we meet this goal, we have dedicated quality improvement personnel who monitor employees, looking at such factors as the relevance and accuracy of advice given and attitude. We also send a satisfaction survey to clients upon the completion of their session. The feedback that we receive allows us to know what areas need improvement and provide relevant staff training so that our services are of the highest possible quality.
Our Principal Officers
Kathryn J. Davis, CCE / President & Chief Executive Officer
Tom Layman, Board Chairman
Diana Dykstra, Board Vice Chair
James Norwine, Board Secretary
Steven Stapp, Board Treasurer
Our agency serves all members of the community. We do not engage in practice
of discrimination in the selection and participation of clients in our programs
or services with respect to race, religion, color, gender, national origin or
- Any consumer contacting of CCCS of San Francisco for counseling services will be provided service regardless of the language they speak.
- Whenever possible, a client will be paired with a counselor who speaks his language.
- If a client speaks a language other than those of our multi-lingual counseling staff, the AT&T Language Line will be contacted to schedule a translator for the time of the appointment. CCCS will pay for the cost of the service.
- Hearing impaired clients will be provided service via telephone or in-person.
- If the client prefers a telephone consultation, TTY operators will be contacted to participate at the time of the session. CCCS will pay for the cost of the service.
- If the client prefers a face-to-face consultation, the Bay Area Communications will be contacted and sign language interpreter will be available for the consumer's appointment. CCCS will pay for the cost of the service.
- Whenever a 3rd party interpreter is a party to an appointment, two back to back appointments will be scheduled in order to insure appropriate time for a complete and thorough counseling session.
Our Housing Education
Program has been providing housing services to the community since
1994, and is recognized by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, HUD, and local
and national lenders for excellence. For more information visit: www.housingeducation.org
Consumer Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco
1655 Grant St. Suite 1300
Concord, California 94520